It is very important to know that you cannot step foot outside the country without your international passport. Not just your international passport but a valid one that is yet to expire, or has been renewed. The Nigerian international passport is a vital piece of document issued to Nigerian citizens intending to travel outside the country. Nigeria now offers electronic passports for new passport applications. These electronic passports are not virtual/soft copies. They are touchable and they can be misplaced. They are known as the e-passport, and are classified as either Standard or Official e-passport, depending on intended use.
How To Apply For International Passport Online And Offline
Obtaining the Nigerian International Passport can either be done online or offline.
This is the most followed route. The simple reason is because of the convenience attached to obtaining your passport through an agent. Offline is very expensive, compared to the online process but the fact that there are some technicalities you wouldn’t want to get wrong, and you would still have to take your printed documents to the immigration office, is why people would rather go through the “Pay-and-Deliver” route.
To obtain your international passport online, there are few guidelines to follow, and there are few documents that would be required. The documents include:
- Passport Application form (completed online and printed).
- Payment Slip.
- Local Government State of Origin.
- Birth Certificate
- Affidavit of age declaration plus 3 passport photographs(if you do not have a birth certificate)
- Change of name affidavit (if you’ve changed your name before).
- Applicants must come with the photocopy of their guarantor’s data page of international passport
- Driver’s license or national ID card of guarantor
- Two current passport-size photographs.
- Processing fee: For 32 pages international passport – 28,000 (official price)
For 64 pages international passport – 35,000 (official Price)
- Validity Period: International passports for both adults and minor (32 pages and 64 pages) respectively are valid for 5 years only
To pay online, follow these first procedures, after which every other thing is just click and submit.
- Visit the Home page of Nigeria Immigration Portal.
- Locate & click on the e-passport tab to in the appropriate application form to start the process:
- Select your preferred passport type.
- Select your Processing Country.
- Fill in the form with your current and correct details.
- Insert the scanned copies of your required documents
- Select your payment method and proceed to online payment.
There is the 32 pages International Passport, and there is the 64 pages; although you almost can’t lay hands on the 64 pages passport without first presenting your filled up or expired 32 pages passport. This is in a bid to make sure that they (immigration officers) remain in business, as the official cost for making a 64 pages international passport is what is collected for the 32 pages when you visit the immigration office.
How To Renew Your International Passport
On how to renew your international passport at any of the passport offices in Lagos, you would be required to present the following documents in person at the immigration office. If misplaced, you might be referred to the immigration head office in Abuja to get it done and it might cost around a week or two. It is advisable you go in person plus go straight to the immigration office and meet any of the immigration staff so as not to be swindled off your cash by the miscreants lurking around the office.
Documents For Passport Renewal
- Police Report (if misplaced).
- Renewal Fee for 32 pages international passport – 28,000 (Adult)
For 64 pages international passport – 35,000 (Adult)
For 32 pages international passport – 20,000 (Minor)
For 64 pages international passport – 35,000 (Minor)
- Two (2) passport-size photographs with any background though preferably with white background.
- Applicant should provide Passport Number of lost Passport (if applicable).
- Applicant will be required to appear in person for bio-metric and image acquisition.
Nigeria Immigration Service: Passport Offices In Lagos And Abuja
Lagos Passport Office Address
Festac Passport Office
Ikoyi Passport Office Address
Abuja Passport Office Address
Address:Nigerian Immigration Service Headquarters,
Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Road ,
Nigerian Immigration Service: Official website, Email & Call Line
- Support e-mail: Email: [email protected]
- Help desk line: +234 (1) 2714449, 4541452.